- What is so revolutionary about Reynobond®|Reynolux® with EcoClean™?
- Why is Reynobond®|Reynolux® with EcoClean™ absolutely safe?
- What evidence is there that EcoClean™ is effective?
- How does a cost-benefit analysis of Reynobond® with EcoClean™ turn out?
- Is the dispersion of smog via EcoClean™ measurable?
- Does the EcoClean™ coating become reduced over time?
- What needs to be borne in mind when processing and installing Reynobond®|Reynolux® with EcoClean™?
- What specific items should be noted when it comes to cleaning the cladding?
Q: What is so revolutionary about Reynobond®|Reynolux® with EcoClean™?
Because titanium dioxide attacks all organic matter, up until now it has proved impossible to apply it to coated aluminium sheet, as it tended to destroy the finish coat. Now researchers at Alcoa have developed a process, for which a patent is pending, that ensures the finish coat remains unaffected.
Q: Why is Reynobond®|Reynolux® with EcoClean™ absolutely safe?
Titanium dioxide, the core constituent of the EcoClean™ coating, is a substance that is completely non-hazardous for living creatures. It is used in a wide range of day-to-day items, from toothpaste to kitchen tiles.
Though it is true that EcoClean™ is based on the nanotechnology of TOTO®, it does not itself consist of nanoparticles. The free radicals that it forms do not represent a hazard, nor do they result in stripping of the protective coating. No titanium dioxide is released into the environment.
Q: What evidence is there that EcoClean™ is effective?
For more than ten years, the TOTO® HYDROTECT technology has been used in outdoor applications. During this period, the self-cleaning and air-cleaning characteristics of the coating have been demonstrated many times over. Studies show that on commercial buildings where the glass façades had also been coated with the Hydrotect™ technology, cleaning costs were reduced by up to 75 percent. Alcoa has also carried out its own trials which clearly demonstrate the effects of Reynobond®|Reynolux® with EcoClean™.
Q: How does a cost-benefit analysis of Reynobond® with EcoClean™ turn out?
The self-cleaning power of Reynobond®|Reynolux® with EcoClean™ means that the costs for cleaning and maintenance can be significantly reduced. If to this we add the lower maintenance costs and effort over the lifetime of the cladding, together with the fact that it remains clean over the long term, then Reynobond®|Reynolux®with EcoClean™ represents a good investment.
To this must be added the factor of image enhancement for customers who value sustainable building construction and architecture. This is because Reynobond® or Reynolux® façade cladding that has been coated with EcoClean™ does not just have self-cleaning power; it also actively cleans the air. 1,000 m2 disperse as much smog as approximately 80 trees.
Q: Is the dispersion of smog via EcoClean™ measurable?
Definitely, without a doubt. For instance, samples coated with Reynobond®|Reynolux® with EcoClean™ were subjected to observation in a test chamber containing nitrogen oxide. The gas was introduced under darkness; as soon as the light was switched on, the Nox readings in the chamber decreased dramatically. The same results were evident in outdoor tests as well.
Q: Does the EcoClean™ coating become reduced over time?
No. The free radicals are created by a photocatalytic reaction that occurs when humidity and oxygen on the surface of Reynobond®|Reynolux® with EcoClean™ are exposed to UV radiation. The coating itself does not release any particles and does not therefore become worn out or used up. The strength of the photocatalytic effect remains consistent over the entire lifetime of the product.
Q: What needs to be borne in mind when processing and installing Reynobond®|Reynolux® with EcoClean™?
The EcoClean™ coating is softer and thinner than the resin-based finishes such as polyester, polyamide and PVDF that it is applied to. For this reason the EcoClean™ coating may be damaged as a result of excessive friction or accidental abrasion. The following points should therefore be noted:
- Alongside the usual precautionary measures, special steps should be taken to prevent damage, scratching or abrasion of the surface.
- The protective laminate should not be removed during processing and installation.
- On the construction site, avoid dirtying the panels with mortar, sealants or other construction materials.
Q: What specific items should be noted when it comes to cleaning the cladding?
- Where possible, only use clean water for cleaning. Do not use high-pressure washers. Only use low pressures when washing off any residues from the surface.
- The surfaces may be cleaned with mild non-corrosive cleaning agents and then rinsed thoroughly with clean water. This should only be necessary where significant dirt builds up in those areas that are in full shade.
- When removing stains in a workshop or in the open, always first wash down the surface using clean water. Wipe down carefully with a soft cotton cloth and clean water.